Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A-Z Challenge: Idol (Billy, not American)

I was fifteen when I saw Billy Idol in concert in Dallas.  It was the first real rock concert of my somewhat grown-up life.  I had seen concerts when I was younger, living in Akron...the most memorable being the Cleveland Philharmonic doing a performance of the 1812 Overture, in which they fired off forty or so cannons.  That was impressive.  But I was only 8 or 9 years old then.  I also saw Barry Manilow and Sha-Na-Na around that time, but those don't count, either.

My friend Chris Freezzo's brother took us.  My friend from Akron, John Shalowitz, was visiting in Texas that summer.  John taught us the secret words to yell back during, "Mony, Mony."  It felt pretty damn cool at fifteen to be at a rock concert yelling, "Hey, get laid, get f%^$ed!"

It was a great show.  This was in the old days, you know, when MTV played music videos.  Well, maybe you don't know.  Let me tell you: a long, long time ago, MTV played music videos.  All the time.  Stupid reality shows hadn't even been invented yet.  Music videos were like really short shows with one song playing in the background. 

It's a lost art these days, but back then, music videos were quite popular, and Billy Idol put out a lot of them, so I was quite familiar with his songs and the complexities that make a concert worth going to.  I mentioned the callback for "Mony, Mony" but there were more, ever so complex and subtle crowd-participation cues, that I was happy to participate in:

During "Rebel Yell" we cried, "More, More More"
During "Dancing With Myself" we sang, "Oh-oh-oh-oh"
During "Flesh for Fantasy" we yelled, "Flesh!"
And, for the most complex bit, during "White Wedding" we all screamed, "Start again!"

There were also lights and fire, which took the awesomness up to eleven.  And at fifteen, there were no sex or drugs (although I did have a pack of cigarettes...but I was too scared to smoke one in front of Mark Frezzo, because I didn't know if he would tell on me).  It was just pure rock and roll.

4 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

I loved Billy Idol. Unfortunately the only album of his that I possess is on cassette :-( It's probably about time I listed my cassettes and updated it into a more modern format!

The concert sounds epic.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the Cleveland Philharmonic firing off forty cannons must've been impressive.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://appcases.ru/]интернет магазин чехлов для iphone[/url] не так уж и сложно, рекомендую!

Shannon Mackle said...

Just a couple of months ago, I gave this relationship doctor Robinson buckler a try. It was my last hope to get my ex husband back.

Weeks before my ex left me and our 2 children, there were a lot of argument and fighting between me and him. On the day he left me, he told me that he doesn't think he loved me any more and this was not working. I was so devastated hearing this, I begged him not to go and I even promised that I would change. But he made up his mind already. He packed his bags and left our house.

I tried calling him and texting him to tell him I miss him and still love him. I asked him to give us another chance. He slowly stopped replying to my messages and stopped picking up my calls.

I then searched the internet on how to get ex back, and even bought a few products such as text your ex back and ex recovery system. Nothing worked, and my ex was still very cold towards me.

When I was about to give up, I found Robinson buckler ex back program. He is a relationship coach with a lot of success stories. I knew what I needed was not a book but a coach to guide me how to make my ex fall in love with me again. I immediately signed up for his program.

In the first couple of days, I made a lot of good progress. I am happier and more confident. My ex saw the positive changes in me, and started to talk to me more and even asked me out for dates.

Fast forward two weeks later, my ex told me that he wants to give our relationship a second try. I was beyond happy when I heard that.

Now, we are closer and happier together. It would not have happened without Robinson buckler help.

I highly recommend Robinsonbuckler11@[[gmail.com]]

if you are serious about getting back your ex.

Win Ex lover back in 48 hours......

He cures herpes with herbal mixture

100% result guaranteed..

-GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES
-HPV
-ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
–HEPATITIS A,B AND C
-COLD SORE
-IMPOTENCE
-HYPERTENSION
-SHINGLES
-FIBROID
-BARENESS/INFERTILITY…............