Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A-Z Challenge: X, YYZ

Yeah, I'm doing it again.  Consolidating letters and bands.  For the last time, though, I promise.

X if for Xanadu.  Not the disco version, the Rush version.  It's not their greatest work, and I didn't even know about it until a few weeks ago when I sat in a frenzy, furiously Googling X-bands and X-songs.  Really not much to work with.  Last year's movie theme was so much easier.

Now YYZ, on the other hand....That I'm more familiar with.  YYZ is a fast jamming, tight instrumental groove.  Musically, it starts off with Morse code rhythm for the letters Y-Y-Z (hence the name), bouncing between two notes in an augmented fourth (or diminished fifth, depending on your perspective), a rarely-used musical interval between the perfect fourth and perfect fifth. 

As a bassist, I am required to like Rush.  I took an oath when I first started playing.  Geddy Lee's chops are awesome, and the respect-o-meter goes off the charts given the fact that he also sings while playing bass.  Now some people may not like his voice, but I do.  It's another one of those unique tones that you can identify immediately. 

Neal Peart is a legendary drummer.  Not many have the clout behind the set that he has earned.  Speed and precision, off-time signatures, and he also writes all the band's lyrics.  Yeah, you could say he's talented.

Alex Lifeson rounds out the power trio on guitar.  He adds harmony yo the rhythms and melodies created by his counter-parts. 

So here's YYZ for you.  Turn it up!


  

4 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

You need to put your Z post up! So I can congratulate you on making it all the way through.

Anonymous said...

That's great; I've put quite a few of your recommendations on our ITunes list, which surprised my husband as he's really the music expert in the family. It was great sharing our A - Z posts from time to time. Well done on finishing; thanks again for your support.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Excellent choices! You have a fine taste in music.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Nice choice. I had to smile at the visual--wild long hair, biker tough drummer and a silver haired suit and tie.